Warning: Use of undefined constant page - assumed 'page' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/johncape/public_html/intelligentsia-international.org/index.php on line 165
H2. Waterway Flow Dynamics
and Sediment Transport Modeling
Program for Engineering, Hydrology or IT students
Before its dredging and straightening,
the Caloosahatchee River was a small winding
river that snaked its way from the marshes east of LaBelle
to its estuary at Ft. Myers. Between 1880 and 1965 the Caloosahatchee
was subjected to a series of dredging projects
until the natural river was erased and it became a wide, deep,
and straight canal. Intelligentsia International, in cooperation
with Watershed Council and CRCA/Riverwatch has been working
for many years on projects related to restoring the
remaining original oxbows (the isolated river bends)
and saving at least these last pieces of the river’s
The practical experience
assignment involves selecting and pursuing one of the ongoing
technical projects related to restoration
of the river oxbows, collecting and incorporating
quality field data, implementing and improving
computer simulation models
of flow and sediment transport in the river oxbows,
and exploring the designs and possible effects of engineering
options for the restorations.
List of main tasks:
- Assemble and review past research on this topic;
- Identify the current methodologies (simulation programs, data
collections, etc.) being used in similar modeling projects;
- Produce a literature review and annotated bibliography of past
research and restoration projects;
- Conduct field trips to understand the river and its oxbows and
to collect site-specific input data;
- Document measurable parameters (e.g. sediments quality and quantity,
pollutants dispersion rate, flow speed and direction, etc.)
- Implement the simulation model on the target oxbow;
- Test and calibrate your sediments movements and flow models;
- Create maps showing the model’s predictions of water flow
and sediment transport in the main river and site oxbows;
- Document your findings in a comprehensive report and web site;
- Present your results to interested parties.
I am interested in this project, when do you recruit students for the program?
Our projects run all year round, so you have an opportunity to apply for any period you wish.
Do you provide housing to trainees?
Yes, we provide housing, local transportation and all necessary utilities for our participants.
How do I learn more or apply?
Submit online application button at the bottom of this page.
I can't submit online application. Can you help me?
If you face some technical difficulties, please download the Application form in Word, complete and email back to us with your CV and Cover Letter attached.