H9. Business Models for Farm Land Ecosystem Services
Program for Engineering, Ecology, Agricultural
Sciences, Economics and other students
Everglades Ecosystem Restoration
is the largest and most ambitious environmental restoration
project in the US history. The project includes restoring wetlands,
lowering agricultural production, revitalizing water quality, reviving
the habitats for endangered and threatened species. However, for
south Florida ecosystems restoration solutions
to be viable over their actual implementation time frame, these
solutions must address problems Florida will face 50 years from
now as well as the problems of today. The threats to the ecosystem
are global, not just local - e.g. eliminating Florida
farms (and thus reducing nutrients load flowing to Everglades) simply
moves agricultural production overseas to nations using less environmentally-sensitive
practices, substituting overseas agricultural for domestic
production contributes to global environmental threats
and thus yields no net ecological benefit at all.
By adding an ecosystem services
components to the agricultural business model in
Everglades Restoration Area, farm lands can serve both restoration
and economic goals effectively and efficiently. Main objective
of this practical program is to focus on developing sustainable
systems that deliver both agricultural production
and environmental services.
List of main tasks:
- Investigate sustainable farming systems used elsewhere, evaluate
theirs pros and cons;
- Provide an initial environmental and economic assessment of
the investigated area/properties;
- Research a legislative framework for water, soil, nutrients, greenhouse gas, etc. trading by conserving
the value of the farms land, as well as its continued capacity for production;
- Suggest new farming systems that combine revenues derived e.g. from crop sales, waste by-products, carbon credits, water
storage, nutrients removal, wildlife habitat, etc.
- Prepare innovative financing mechanisms that can be used to
jump-start markets for environmental services;
- Evaluate ecosystem services components of agricultural business models to quantify environmental impacts criteria
(such as Environmental Sustainability Index, Environmental Loading Ratio, Ecological Footprint, Green Biofuels Index, etc.)
- Based on partnerships you'll cultivate, develop a pool of financial, conservation, and legal expertise;
- Increase public awareness of the economic importance of ecosystem services and the impacts of their loss.
Not an applicant yet?!
Qualified and motivated students and young professionals have a chance here! Are you searching for a challenging program in fundraising area? Would you like to start your career in managing projects and daily affairs on sales and marketing of a graduate students’ organization? Then our program might be good match for you.
How do I learn more or apply?
Submit on-line application button at the bottom of this page.
I can't submit on line application. Can you help me?
If you face some technical difficulties, please download the Application form in Word, complete and email back to us with your CV and Cover Letter attached.